Conflict and Communication
Conflict is an inevitable and necessary part of communication. It arises when communication partners assert differing positions, but must agree on only one result. Although at times painful, conflict can be productive, if it achieves a positive solution. The challenge in managing conflict, therefore, is how to ensure that it achieves positive results.
The focus of this course is on managing conflict and, at the same time, improving communication among colleagues. In the course, participants will improve their understanding of communication skills, assertiveness, the causes of conflict and the ways in which they resolve conflict.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and classify areas for performance development (knowledge, skills and behaviour)
- Define a range of responses to performance issues and select the most appropriate approach to take
- Use appropriate interpersonal communication skills (active listening, coaching, questioning techniques)
- Give negative feedback using a range of tools that avoid defensiveness
- Deal with common obstacles to effective coaching and feedback
- Motivate and coach future performance by focusing on goals and the actions needed to achieve them
- Incorporate coaching into their normal management style
Anyone who needs to manage conflict situations.